A bit about us...

Sam. Sammy. Sammer. Or, more accurately, Trouble on the Hoof. These are the adventures of one ridiculous Labrador Retriever and the girl who brought him home.

Friday, January 14, 2011

Let Them Eat Cake

I know I said I'd post these pictures awhile back, but I have been recovering from the flu and haven't gotten around to it. But now I have! Better late than never, right?

I baked Sammer a cake using the normal cake-like ingredients--flour, butter, eggs--as well as some dog-like ingredients: two jars of meat-flavored baby food (one turkey and one beef), shredded carrots, and elk jerky. I frosted the cake with peanut butter and arranged some milkbones around the top. Ta-da! Dogger birthday cake.

Blech for humans, yum for doggers

We cut Sammer a slice and since we had no candles I broke a grill match in half and stuck that in instead. Hey, if it works, it works.

Happy birthday to you, you live in a zoo...


Make a wish!

We sang happy birthday and Sam ate his quarter of the cake surprisingly politely. He ate the jerky pieces and the milkbones, then licked the peanut butter, then ate chunks of the cake itself without being overly messy or excited. I think most first birthdays go like that, don't they? You get all excited and expect the kid to just devour their cake, and then they sit there staring at it like What the hell is this, Mom? and you're all gathered around taking pictures and the kid's just kind of blinking at you and eventually someone grabs a handful of frosting and shoves it in the kid's face and then everyone laughs and claps and then the kid starts eating the cake. I believe the same goes for dogs.

Why yes I believe I'll have some cake

Mom held Marcus back so Sam could eat his cake, so by the time I brought Marcus his little slice he was raring to go:

CAKE CAKE LEMME EAT THAT CAKE

Unlike Sam, Marcus horked his piece down in thirty seconds. Marcus, the dog who can only eat one kibble at a time, was mauling this cake with a ferocious abandon I've never seen from him before. I can only assume he enjoyed it.

CAKE CAKE CAKE


MY CAKE MINE MY PRECIOUS

It was a small birthday gathering, but I don't think Sam minded. He got to eat cake for his supper, and he got extra pets and ear rubs and butt scratches, so he had a great time. Once he graduates advanced obedience next week we'll get him a combo birthday/graduation present. I'm thinking doggie riding goggles...

No comments:

Post a Comment